The number of the KGB in Belarus is up to 10 thousand people. This is reported in an article about the Committee, published in the first issue of the magazine Razvedchik of the Russian Foreign Intelligence Service in December. It lists the main stages of the KGB development and facts of the biography of its head Ivan Tertel.
It is also reported that «the total number of employees of the KGB in the Republic of Belarus does not exceed 10,000 people.» The material also mentions that at the beginning of 2022, the Committee was in contact with 46 foreign intelligence services.
Screenshot of the article
The article also describes the structure of the KGB. They list the main structural units:
- The General Directorate of Counterintelligence;
- The General Directorate of Foreign Intelligence;
- The Main Directorate for Combating Organized Crime and Corruption;
- The Main Directorate for Combating Terrorism and Extremism;
- The Directorate of International Cooperation;
- Territorial units (six regional directorates).
The article also mentions that the Russian Foreign Intelligence Service and the KGB have established «close coordination» in such areas as «detection and suppression of diversionary activities of the West, informational security and combating hybrid threats.» Another field of cooperation is the training of personnel for Belarusian special services at the Foreign Intelligence Academy of the Russian Foreign Intelligence Service.