- The Ministry of Defense of Belarus announced the beginning of the 2nd stage of the joint tactical flight exercises of the Belarusian and Russian Armed Forces. Intensive flights of helicopters, fighters and AEW&C aircraft were recorded during the day. Training flights of aviation were recorded at Baranavichy, Machulishchy and Lida airfields.
- All helicopters of the Russian Aerospace Forces left Machulishchy airfield: 11 helicopters redeployed to Luninets airfield, another one – to Baranavichy airfield.
- Two Su-24 attack aircraft of the Russian Aerospace Forces (RF-54409 and RF-54408) arrived at Baranavichy airfield from Russia.
- Arrivals of military transport aircraft from Russia, which may bring currently unknown cargo, continue. For example, two An-12 of the Russian Aerospace Forces (RF-12560 and RF-93586) arrived in Baranavichy from Russia, and An-72 of the Russian Aerospace Forces (RF-72949) arrived in Machulishchy.
- We should also mention that yesterday, while flying in the area of Maladzechna, one of the two engines of MiG-31K of the Russian Aerospace Forces (RF-95194) caught fire, which was accompanied by a sound of explosion (compressor stall), due to which the aircraft had to urgently return to the airfield.
- In addition, since yesterday, the 210th aviation training ground Ruzhany of the Air Force and Air Defense Forces has also been involved in the exercises.
The rail activity was low. Only in the early morning, a large military cargo train of the Russian Armed Forces was recorded moving from Orsha towards the border of Belarus and Russia. According to preliminary data, the military cargo train with at least 50 cars, including flatcars with military equipment and passenger cars, left the country. The information is being clarified.
Movements by road
- No large columns with military vehicles of the Russian Armed Forces were recorded. Single vehicles were recorded in Baranavichy and Yelsk.
- Activity of the Belarusian Armed Forces was higher. It was possible to detect the transfer of a division of S-300/400 SAM systems from the area of Barysau to the area of Mikashevichy. The column included about 10 units of equipment, but SAM systems were moving without launching transporting containers.
- Single military vehicles of the Belarusian Armed Forces were recorded in Vitsebsk, Baranavichy and Minsk.
Military activity on the territory of Belarus on January 19 / Belarusian Hajun
Due to the beginning of the 2nd stage of the flight exercises of the Belarusian and Russian Armed Forces, aviation activity increased many times (compared to previous days), as we predicted in the conclusion made in the report for January 15.
We should expect aviation activity to remain as high (or higher) in the coming days. It is possible that flights may also be conducted at night.
Changes in the number of the group of the Russian Armed Forces in Belarus:
Arrived in Belarus:
- Aviation — 2 Su-24 of the Russian Aerospace Forces.
- A military cargo train – 50 cars with equipment and personnel (being clarified).